Lost Our Home Pet Rescue was founded in 2008 as a grassroots response to the thousands of pets in need as a result of the economic downturn and Phoenix-area foreclosure crisis. Prior to starting Lost Our Home, Jodi Polanski, Founder and Executive Director, worked in the mortgage business for 13 years and saw first-hand the devastating effects the housing crisis had on people and pets. During that time, many pets were abandoned in foreclosed homes, often times without food or water. Others, having no choice, were forced to give up their pets to shelters.
Soon after Lost Our Home began, we learned that the need was even greater than originally thought and quickly expanded to offer additional programs for pets and pet parents facing other life crises too, including:
- Temporary Care Program provides up to 90 days of complete care for pets when their pet parents experience a life hardship and are unable to care for them temporarily. This relieves pet parents of the overwhelming fear of losing their pet and in turn, allows them to solely focus on regaining stability in their lives so they can be reunited with their pet. .
- Pet Food Bank Program (Animeals on Wheels), provides pet food and supplies to financially struggling individuals so they do not have to give their pets up simply because they cannot afford pet food during their time of need.
- Animal Rescue Program for Abandoned/Owner Surrendered Pets provides medical care, shelter and food, all while trying to find forever loving homes.
- Low Income Boarding Program offers discounted boarding for low income pet parents who cannot afford traditional boarding.
- Partnership with Sojourner Center in Phoenix, one of the largest domestic violence shelters in the U.S. Together, we opened and manage a Pet Companion Shelter on their campus so that women escaping domestic violence can keep their pets with them while they heal.
Lost Our Home Pet Rescue is the only non-profit, no kill pet rescue based in Tempe whose mission is dedicated to providing compassionate services to pets and pet parents in crisis. Whether it be a foreclosure, homelessness, job loss, illness, domestic violence or any other hardship, we are there to serve pets and pet parents in the Valley who have nowhere else to turn. Often times, we are their very last hope. For many pet owners with few resources, the only other option is surrendering their pet(s) to overcrowded shelters where they face an uncertain future, even death. Our programs were created with one purpose in mind . . . to keep pets with their families, which fulfills both human and animal needs, and leads to longer, happier, healthier lives and a strong community!
In the past 8 years, Lost Our Home Pet Rescue has grown to become an integral part of the community, delivering not only life-changing, but also life-saving programs that no other animal rescue organization is doing. We are very proud of the fact that since 2008, we’ve helped over 20,000 pets! 3,800 of those pets were placed in new loving homes, 16,000+ hungry pets were fed through our Pet Food Bank and over 650 pets were reunited with their families after a crisis.